Wood Badge is the premier adult leader training program in Scouting. The program highlights personal and unit level leadership development with courses in team building, problem-solving, communication, conflict resolution, and many other useful skills. These skills can be taken directly back to packs, troops, ships, and crews to help leaders guide youth in dynamic Scouting programs. Wood Badge is a fun, challenging and inspirational Scouting experience for all leaders who wish to improve their leadership skills.
Wood Badge is a six-day advanced training program which gives participants a greater understanding of Scouting aims and methods while developing true Scout spirit. It is anticipated that all people who complete Wood Badge training will continue to work actively in the Scouting program to further the aims and methods of Scouting.
Wood Badge provides participants with firsthand knowledge regarding how teams develop and achieve excellence. Participants take part in an active learning process through involvement in planning, development, presentation, and assessment. Participants will enjoy a world-class learning experience that will strengthen their long-term commitment to Scouting.
Wood Badge Flier
Who may attend?
All registered adult Scouters from Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Venturing and Sea Scouts, and Venturers and Sea Scouts over age 18, who meet the following eligibility requirements may attend Wood Badge:
- Be registered adults of the Boy Scouts of America (there are no minimum tenure requirements).
- Have not previously attended a Wood Badge course.
- Have completed the basic training courses for their Scouting position. (see FAQs)
- Have completed the outdoor skills training programs appropriate for their Scouting positions. (see FAQs)
- Be capable of functioning safely in an outdoor environment. A BSA Annual Health and Medical Record (Parts A, B, C) is required for all participants.
- Attend all sessions. There are no make-up opportunities. If an attendee has to miss any of the sessions they will be dropped from the course and will be asked to return another course to attend the entire program. This includes attendance at any patrol meetings during the intervening week between the two weekends.
Wood Badge Registration
Click on the course number below to register:
||March 16-18 and April 6-8, 2018 (begins Friday at 7:30 am, ends Sunday at 5:00 pm)
All fees are due with registration. Each Wood Badge course is limited to 48 participants. Male/ female/ youth/ adult participation may be further limited by housing requirements. Per national guidelines, any course not having 30 fully paid participants 30 days prior to the start of the course is subject to cancellation.
The format for the Wood Badge Course is two 3-day weekends (two Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays or two Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays) separated by three to four weeks. Both weekends are held at Bovay Scout Ranch; participants camp both weekends.
Per youth protection guidelines, separate housing and shower facilities must be maintained for youth participants. As a result, the number of male/ female/ youth/ adults may be limited within a given course, depending on housing available.
During the second weekend, participants cook their own meals. Participants must attend at least one interim patrol meeting between the first and second weekends of the course. The date and location of the patrol meeting is determined by patrol members.