Fishing Merit Badge Class at Bass Pro Shop - Katy
Boy Scouts can sign up to take the Fishing Merit Badge at one of five classes being offered (September 1, September 10, September 15, September 24, and September 29). Scouts may register at the Katy Bass Pro Shop customer service desk or by phone at (281) 644-2200. The store is located at 5000 Katy Mills Circle - Suite 415, Katy, TX 77494. Each class is limited to 10 Boy Scouts. Scouts need to bring a blue card signed by your Scoutmaster. The class begins promptly at 6:00 pm and finishes no later than 9:00 pm. The only item not covered during this session is: #9 (Catch at least one fish and identify it. If regulations and health concerns permit, clean and cook a fish you have caught. Otherwise, acquire a fish and cook it.). Requirement #9 can be done prior to the class, but please bring in pictures. If you have any questions, contact Michael Scherer, 832-202-5221.
Scout Day with the Astros
Sunday, September 6, 2015
Join the Houston Astros celebrate Scout Day at Minute Maid Park. Arrive early to participate in a pregame parade and stay late for a post game run around the bases! To order tickets click here, password: Scout. For orders of 20 or more and to save on service charges contact Brent Broussard at (713) 259-8316. The first 2000 Scouts will receive a Scout Day Patch. To receive a patch orders must be made through link or as part of a Scout group through this offer. For more information contact Brent Broussard at (713) 259-8316 or Broussard@astros.com.
STEM Day at the Houston Museum of Natural Science
September 26, 2015
The Houston Museum of Natural Science is hosting a STEM/Nova day from 9 am to 1 pm. Cub Scouts, Webelos, Boy Scouts and their families will have access to the museum at a discounted rate, and can work on some of the requirements for the Supernova Awards!
Stop by the check-in table in the museum’s grand hall that morning to discover what requirements you can meet and to access the special pricing.
- Permanent Exhibit Halls, Planetarium and Butterfly Center will be $3.50 per person
- Giant Screen Theater movies will be $5 per person
- Special Exhibits will be $5 to $7 per person
Safety Merit Badge at Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital
October 17, 2015
Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital will host several opportunity for Boy Scout troops or individuals to fulfill the requirements for the Safety Merit Badge. This program includes an interactive, educational component and tour of the emergency and trauma services of the hospital. A light breakfast is provided. All sessions are from 9:00 a.m. to noon. Location: 6411 Fannin Street, Houston, TX 77030. Cost is $25 registration fee per Scout. Any Boy Scout (at least 10 years of age) can participate. Each session is limited to 20 Scouts. Prerequisite work must be completed prior to arrival to the facility. To register, contact 713-222-CARE (2273) or by clicking here
. For questions, contact the Pediatric Injury Prevention Coordinator, via email: email@example.com or via phone: 713.704.0108.
Buffalo Soldier Scout Days
Sunday, September 20 and Sunday, November 15
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
The Buffalo Soldiers Museum has an exciting opportunity for Scouts on several days. The Museum has offered to include guided tours and the opportunity to review advancement requirements for the Heritages Belt Loop and American Cultures Merit Badge. The Scout Days also include re-enactments of Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad. The cost is $3 for Scouts and $5 for adults. For more information and to purchase tickets Call (713) 942-8920. This program was conceived by the African American Committee on Scouting.
National Weather Service Skywarn Classes
The National Weather Service Houston/Galveston office offers free Skywarn classroom and webinar training courses on how to spot and report severe weather. Scouters are invited to attend. Upcoming training sessions are posted here.
The Houston Museum of Natural Science offers a variety of classes for Scouts.
- Tigers, Wolves, and Bears can earn the Astronomy, Geology, Science, and Weather Belt Loops and Pins in 2-hour classes. Two classes can be taken in one day and entrance to the general exhibits is included. Classes are offered through the school year on Saturdays.
- Engineer, Forester, Geologist, Naturalist and Scientist activity badges can be earned by Webelos in two-hour classes on Saturdays through the school year. The Engineer, Into the Woods, Earth Rocks, Into the Wild, and Science adventure badges will be introduced in the summer and fall of 2015. Two classes can be taken in one day and entrance to the general exhibits is included.
- Boy Scouts and Webelos can attend the museum's Summer Scout Academy! A total of 28 different merit badges are offered, including four Eagle Scout required badges during summer classes. Two or three badges with similar topics are grouped together in each week-long class. Registration opens in February.
- Tigers, Wolves, Bears, and Webelos can spend the night at the museum during the Scout Adventure Night! Scouts can all have an exclusive adventure through the Museum exhibit halls, with activities and a special program in the Burke Baker Planetarium, where Scouts have a clear night adventure under the stars!
The Health Museum offers a variety of classes for Scouts. Private classes can also be scheduled for groups of 10 or more Scouts on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Webelos can work on the Forester, Geologist, Traveler, Citizen, Readyman, Scientist, Fitness, and Aquanaut badges.
- Boy Scouts can work on 21 different merit badges.
The Houston Arboretum & Nature Center offers a variety of classes for Scouts. Scouts investigate the nature sanctuary with a naturalist and learn about the fascinating ecology of the forest. All of our Scout programs are conducted by staff naturalists and use our nature sanctuary as a field laboratory for hands-on explorations!
- Tigers, Wolves and Bears can work on some outdoor advancements during their Cub Scout Workshops.
- Webelos can work on the Naturalist and Forester badges
- Boy Scouts can work on the Bird Study merit badge and conduct Eagle Scout projects.
The Houston Zoo offers a spend the night at the zoo for a unique, after-hours experience which includes interactive activities, touchable animals, pizza dinner, Scout advancements on certain nights, and a continental breakfast!
The Armand Bayou Nature Center offers a variety of classes for Scouts.
- Tigers, Wolves and Bears can work on several outdoor advancements.
- Webelos can work on the Naturalist and Forester badge.
Watch for additional Scout Days to be announced soon.
For more information, contact:
Comments are hidden. If you send us a comment, please provide your contact information.