Help ensure the success of Scouting in the Sam Houston Area Council with meaningful gifts including Friends of Scouting, company matching gifts, company volunteer grants or by donating cars, trucks, RVs, trailers, boats, motors, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, securities, uniforms, camping equipment and yes, even services.
Friends of Scouting (FOS)
Friends of Scouting is an opportunity for families, friends, alumni, business and community organizations to support Scouting. The $24 registration fee goes directly to the National Office of the Boy Scouts of America. If a Scout unit collects dues, that money stays with the unit to help pay for supplies, advancements and other activities. None of that money helps the Sam Houston Area Council. In order to keep Scouting affordable for all youth, the council runs an annual Friends of Scouting fundraising campaign.
Friends of Scouting helps:
- Recruit and train youth and leaders
- Provide assistance to those in need
- Keep our camps and activities affordable
- Enhance programing and facilities
- Provide communication tools for volunteer leaders
Friends of Scouting contributions provide approximately 24 percent of the support the council receives each year. The success of Scouting depends on those who support it. Please help Scouting provide the resources necessary to make sure every youth can benefit from Scouting’s fun, exciting, adventure-filled activities that foster character, honesty, respect and life-long values.
Friends of Scouting Campaign Material
2014 Family Manual
2014 FOS Brochure
2014 LDS FOS Brochure
A successful Scouting program is made possible by the generosity of families, business community, and individuals believing in the Scouting mission. You can help today by supporting the Annual Friends of Scouting Campaign. Additional information can be found on www.guidestar.org.
Company Matching Gifts
Many corporations match employee contributions made to the Boy Scouts. Some companies even make financial contributions for volunteering time to Scouting (see Companies with Volunteer Grants below).
Increase Scouting Support!
Companies listed below have historically matched their employees' generosity.
- Make your gift to Sam Houston Area Council
- Complete a Matching Gift form available from your employer.
- Send in your Matching Gift Application to: Sam Houston Area Council, Development Department, 2225 North Loop W, Houston, TX 77008
If you do not see your employer below, please don't assume they do not participate in the matching gifts program; check with your human resources department for more information. If you know of a company who matches gifts that we did not include, please contact Britt Vincent at (713) 756-3318 so we can keep our list current.
American Express Financial Advisors
Archer Daniels Midland
Bank of America
Beryl Oil & Gas LP
Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
Chubb & Son
Denbury Resources, Inc.
Dixie Carrier Inland
Edelman Financial Services
EDF Trading North America
Ernst & Young
ExxonMobil (Mobil retirees only) Current XOM Employees see Volunteer Grants below
First Data Corporation
First Union National Bank
GDF Suez Energy North America Inc
JM Smith Foundation
Key Energy Services
Kirby Inland Marine
Marathon Petroleum - Marathon Pipeline
Massachusetts Financial Services
Murphy & Shaffer LLC
Mutual of America
Northern Trust Company
PBG Pepsi Bottling Group
PC World / IDG Central Services
Pohlad Family Charities
RBC Dain Rauscher
Sara Lee Foundation
Simmons & Company
Southwest Wire Rope
St. Paul Companies
Stanley Black & Decker
State Farm Companies
Sun Trust Bank
Tandy / Radio Shack
Tetra Tech EM, Inc.
Texas National Bank
Thomson Financial Services
Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
Toys R Us
United States Fidelity & Guaranty
Williams Companies Inc
Companies with Volunteer Grants
Volunteer time is money with volunteer grants
Numerous local companies recognize volunteer time through the donation of cash grants to non-profits in which their employees volunteer. This means that for each hour of volunteer time, employers donate funds to support the Sam Houston Area Council, Boy Scouts of America.
Increase Scouting support through your time!
Listed below are some companies who participate in this type of program.
Check with your HR department to find out the company requirements. If you do not see your employer below, check with your human resources department for more information. If you know of a company who offers volunteer grants that we did not include, please contact Britt Vincent at (713) 756-3318 so we can keep our list current.
Make Adobe - Volunteer Request Program
AT&T Wireless - AT&T CARES
Bank of America - Volunteer Grants Program
Booz Allen Hamilton- Volunteer Service Grant Program
Citigroup - Volunteer Incentive Program
ExxonMobil- VIP and Team grants (call (713)756-3318)
Freddie Mac Foundation- Dollars for Doers Program
KPMG - KMPG CARES
Medtronic, Inc. - Volunteer Match Program
Motorola - Volunteer Grants Program
Nike - Employee Involvement
Qwest - Employee Matching Time
Reynolds & Reynolds
Safeco - Matching Time Program
St. Paul Travelers - St. Paul's Travelers Foundation
State Farm Insurance - Good Neighbor Grant Program
Williams (Grassroots Giving Grants up to $10,000)
Donate your car, truck, RV, trailer, boat, motor
To donate a car, truck, RV, trailer, boat or motor to the Sam Houston Area Council, complete the online form or let us handle it turn-key by sending inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll take care of the paperwork and the tow -- a clear title will enable us to start moving forward.
Donate a vehicle Donate watercraft
- Where do I sign my title in order to transfer my vehicle to you?
- Signing the back of your vehicle's title is sufficient. Please call us at (713) 756-3318 if you have questions.
- What is the council address?
- Sam Houston Area Council
Auto Donation Program
2225 North Loop W
Houston, TX 77008
- Do I need a clear title to donate my vehicle?
- Generally speaking, yes. However, there may be extenuating circumstances. If there is a lien on your vehicle please take care of this before calling.
- What information do I need to provide you if I decide to donate my vehicle?
- Simply contact us with your vehicle's year, make, model and mileage. Phone (713) 756-3318 / email: email@example.com. We will provide you with further instruction.
- How do I know how much to claim as a tax write off for my gift?
- After your car sells we will send a letter of acknowledgment listing the amount. If questions still exist, please check with a tax professional to determine the extent of tax benefit you may receive from a donation.
- How will my car be picked up?
- You will receive a call to arrange a time for pickup (vehicle and keys). Your vehicle will be picked up by a licensed, bonded and insured towing company or in some instances arrangements will be made for a council representative to come by.
- We have a pop-up camper trailer. Will the Boy Scouts accept trailers?
- Factory made trailers in good condition with clear title are frequently accepted.
- I have read the vehicle donation information on your website, but I still have some questions. Who do I contact?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (713) 756-3318
Donate Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, Securities
To donate stocks, bonds, mutual funds or securities, please call (713) 756-3318 or email
regarding your intent. Please complete these instructions
and fax (713-865-9138) or mail (Cockrell Scout Center, attn: Stock Gifts, 2225 North Loop W, Houston, TX 77008).
- I have stock I would like to donate to the Sam Houston Area Council. What do I need to do?
- Please fax (713-865-9138) the form to the council office. This will enable us to see funds are properly credited. Contact Britt Vincent for additional information.
- Can the Sam Houston Area Council accept the gift of mutual funds?
- Yes. It is a different procedure than with stocks. Please call Jim Rees (713-756-3315) to discuss details.
- How should I proceed in giving a stock certificate to the council?
- Transfer the ownership of stock certificates to Boy Scouts of America. Call or email us to let us know of your intent and then mail the certificate to the Sam Houston Area Council, 2225 North Loop W, Houston, TX 77008. Please mark the envelope "personal and confidential, attn: Britt Vincent.
Donate new or gently used uniforms by dropping them off at the Cockrell Scout Center (2225 North Loop West, Houston, Texas 77008) or at any local Scout Shop. Donate new or gently used camping gear (e.g., tents, stoves, sleeping bags/pads, Dutch ovens, boots, hiking backpacks, coolers) at the Cockrell Scout Center.
For Questions Contact