Jamboree-on-the-Air (JOTA) and Jamboree-on-the-Internet (JOTI) are the world’s largest digital Scout events on the Internet and over the airwaves. Held annually on the third weekend in October, the event connects millions of Scouts worldwide for an entire weekend of online activities that promote friendship and global citizenship. JOTA-JOTI enables young people to participate in fun and engaging group activities over the Internet and amateur radio—focusing on developing 21st-century skills through Scouting.
International Scouting Day
October 15, 2022 | 10:00am - 3:00pm
Cockrell Scout Center
2225 N Loop W, Houston, TX 77008
Scouting happens all around the world. On International Scouting Day, Scouts will be able to participate in a variety of hands-on activities to learn about international Scouting.
- JOTI / JOTA - Jamboree-on-the-Internet (JOTI) and Jamboree On The Air (JOTA) events will be held
- Radio Transmitter Balloon - A small balloon fitted with a WSPR transmitter (Call Sign - K2BSA-5) will be launched into the jet stream and tracked around the globe. Last year it was tracked all the way to South America!
- Interpreter Strip – Are you bilingual? Earn your interpreter strip off in Spanish, German, French, Italian, Vietnamese, Japanese, and perhaps more languages!
- International Spirit Award & International Scouter Award – Learn about the International Spirit Award and International Spirit Award awards and work on some of the requirements at the event.
- Friendship Knot – Learn how to tie the friendship neckerchief knot, then share it with your friends!
- Messengers of Peace – Learn about the Messengers of Peace Award and get a chance to be a Peace Hero.
- International Excursions/Exchanges – Learn how to join an international Scouting contingent to travel to Japan, Scotland, Switzerland, and beyond!
- World Friendship Fund – Learn about the World Friendship Fund; learn how Ukrainian Scouts provide humanitarian aid daily during the current Ukraine-Russia conflict, and multiple ways to support these brave Scouts.
- International Peace Light - Learn about the International Peace Light Ceremony and eternal flame from Bethlehem and how to get the flame for your home or unit.
- And much more!
Jamboree On The Internet (JOTI)
Jamboree-on-the-Internet (JOTI) is an annual Scouting event sponsored by the World Organization of the Scout Movement and is held the 3rd weekend of October. This event utilizes the internet and the numerous devices that are used to get online, from your home computer to iPad tablets to mobile phones, to link Scouts from around the world. Last year, JOTA-JOTI had over 1.5 million Scouts and leaders participate in more than 160 countries!
Scouts of any age can take part and can participate at home with the help of an adult, or they can participate in a Scout group at a council-wide event. JOTI is an economical way of communicating around the world. The event allows Scouts to "meet" other Scouts from around the world through the Internet and share more information than just "Hi." The exchanges can include such information as name and location, Scout rank, age, and hobbies. Some exchanges lead to long-lasting friendships. Another great idea is to use JOTI participation to help fulfill some of the Citizenship in the World or Digital Technology merit badge requirements!
Jamboree On The Air (JOTA)
Jamboree-on-the-Air (JOTA) is an annual Scouting event that uses amateur radio to link Scouts around the world, around the nation, and in your own community. Held on the third full weekend of October each year, this worldwide jamboree requires no travel, other than to a nearby radio amateur’s ham shack. Many times the hams will agree to set up at a Scout event. There are many ways to get your Scouts involved in JOTA.