Our council leadership is committed to being diligent with regular communications in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. For the latest information, visit www.shac.org/news.
#15 SHAC Communication for COVID-19 Response (updated 5/18/21)
Dear Scouting Family of the Sam Houston Area Council,
The leadership of the Sam Houston Area Council would like to present this, our fifteenth update, on our response to the COVID-19 outbreak and protocols for Scouting operations going forward. We appreciate your continued patience as we navigate this situation.
- Unit programming should be conducted under current guidelines from the State of Texas and the CDC with the approval of the unit’s chartered organization and subject to the current COVID-19 protocols of any meeting or activity facility.
- Effective immediately, all visitors and staff that are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 will be exempted from wearing a face-covering at all council-owned facilities, including the Cockrell Scout Center and all council camps. The council recommends that those individuals that are not fully vaccinated should continue to wear a face covering where social distancing is not possible, except while eating, drinking, or participating in an activity where face coverings are not feasible, such as aquatics.
- District and Council meetings and events may be conducted in person and will utilize the same face-covering policy, unless held at a facility that is not council-owned, as those facilities may have additional restrictions that should be followed.
- Council camps will continue to utilize the COVID-19 Pre-Screening Form.
- Social Distancing should be followed in all situations where it is feasible.
- Overnight district and council activities and trainings are allowed for all Scouting programs. All district activities should have an event plan reviewed and approved by the District ERM Committee, and all council activities should have an event plan reviewed and approved by the Council ERM Committee.
- Effective May 24th, the Cockrell Scout Center will resume normal office hours and operations on Monday through Friday, 8:00-4:30 p.m.
Our Enterprise Risk Management Team is working regularly and diligently to determine our plans going forward. If you have any questions regarding the COVID-19 response for the Sam Houston Area Council, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at email@example.com. The council remains committed to keeping our constituents updated regularly with new information as we have it. We will continue to communicate through three main mechanisms – Facebook, Email, and Council Website. Please consult these regularly for updates.
Thank you for all you do for Scouting!
Chair of the Board
Scout Executive / CEO
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As this is a constantly evolving situation, please regularly monitor our standard means of communication (Facebook, Email, and Council Website) for updates.
BSA National Statement on COVID-19 Previous Updates Rank Advancement Update