Our council leadership is committed to being diligent with regular communications in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. For the latest information, visit www.shac.org/news.
#16 SHAC Communication for COVID-19 Response (updated 3/21/22)
Dear Scouting Family of the Sam Houston Area Council,
The leadership of the Sam Houston Area Council would like to present this, our sixteenth update, on our response to the COVID-19 outbreak and protocols for Scouting operations going forward. We appreciate your continued patience as we navigate this situation.
- Unit programming should be conducted under current guidelines from the State of Texas and the CDC with the approval of the unit’s chartered organization and subject to the current COVID-19 protocols of any meeting or activity facility.
- Face coverings should follow the new CDC COVID-19 by County guidance. In short, all US counties are classified as low-, medium-, or high-risk. There are no mask recommendations for low-risk areas. For medium-risk areas, if you are at high risk for severe illness, talk to your healthcare provider about whether you need to wear a mask and take other precautions. In high-risk areas, wear a mask indoors in public when social distancing is not possible.
- District and Council meetings and events may be conducted in person and will utilize the same face-covering policy, unless held at a facility that is not council-owned, as those facilities may have additional restrictions that should be followed.
- We recommend that units utilize the updated pre-event medical checklist for activities. These forms are no longer required to be turned in when visiting council camps.
- Social Distancing should be followed in all situations where it is feasible.
- Overnight district and council activities and trainings are allowed for all Scouting programs. Districts are no longer required to submit activity plans to the Council ERM Committee. Districts should continue to have their District ERM Chair review program plans for district activities.
- If you were exposed to or test positive for COVID-19 then you should follow CDC Quarantine and Isolation guidance.
Our Enterprise Risk Management Team is working regularly and diligently to determine our plans going forward. If you have any questions regarding the COVID-19 response for the Sam Houston Area Council, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The council remains committed to keeping our constituents updated regularly with new information as we have it. We will continue to communicate through three main mechanisms – Facebook, Email, and Council Website. Please consult these regularly for updates.
Thank you for all you do for Scouting!
Chair of the Board
Scout Executive / CEO
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at email@example.com.
As this is a constantly evolving situation, please regularly monitor our standard means of communication (Facebook, Email, and Council Website) for updates.
BSA National Statement on COVID-19 Previous Updates