Dear Scouting Family of the Sam Houston Area Council,
The leadership of the Sam Houston Area Council would like to present this, our fourteenth update, on our response to the COVID-19 outbreak and protocols for Scouting operations going forward. We appreciate your continued patience as we navigate this situation as best we can.
- Any units wishing to conduct small-scale meetings or activities should do so only if able to meet specific preventative guidance from the Center for Disease Control and upon consultation with and approval from their chartered organization.
- All council facilities (including the Cockrell Scout Center), council camps, and scout shops will continue to require the usage of face covering per CDC guidelines.
- Small council-level meetings (less than 50 people) may be conducted in person only if standards from CDC can be met. Teleconference or online meetings remain the preferred method. All in-person council meetings of 50 or greater persons are cancelled or postponed unless conducted over teleconference or online.
- District meetings (ex: Roundtables, District Committee Meetings, Commissioner Staff Meetings) may be conducted in person only if standards from the CDC can be met. Otherwise, these meetings should be conducted over teleconference or online.
- Overnight district and council activities and trainings are allowed for all Scouting programs. These events still must submit a plan to ERM in advance to ensure compliance with all relevant guidelines from the CDC. Only approved district and council events will appear on the council website.
- Weekend camping for Cub Scouts at Bovay Scout Ranch and Camp Brosig is open. Participating packs must follow council policies regarding social distancing and COVID-19 prevention measures.
- Adventure Camp at Bovay Scout Ranch is open on specific weekends with reduced capacity.
- Weekend camping for Scouts BSA at Tellepsen Scout Camp and Camp Strake reservations are open. Participating troops must follow council policies regarding social distancing and COVID-19 prevention measures.
- The Cockrell Scout Center remains open for drop off only with hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday.
- Any interaction needed with staff members must be conducted through phone and email. If you need assistance determining the appropriate person to contact, please refer to our updated “who to call directory,” or contact the receptionist at (713) 659-8111 during our office hours to be directed to the appropriate person.
- Field-based staff (District Executives) will be working remotely during this time and are available by phone and email.
- The 5 Scout Shop locations are open to limited retail traffic (store hours)
Our Enterprise Risk Management Team is working regularly and diligently to determine our plans going forward. If you have any questions regarding the COVID-19 response for the Sam Houston Area Council, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at email@example.com. The council remains committed to keeping our constituents updated regularly with new information as we have it. We will continue to communicate through three main mechanisms – Facebook, Email, and Council Website. Please consult these regularly for updates.
Thank you for all you do for Scouting
Chair of the Board
Scout Executive / CEO
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As this is a constantly evolving situation, please regularly monitor our standard means of communication (Facebook, Email, and Council Website) for updates.
BSA National Statement on COVID-19 Previous Updates Rank Advancement Update