Dear Scouting Family of the Sam Houston Area Council,
The leadership of the Sam Houston Area Council would like to present this, our twelfth update, on our response to the COVID-19 outbreak and protocols for Scouting operations going forward. We appreciate your continued patience as we navigate this situation as best we can.
Any units wishing to conduct small-scale meetings or activities should do so only if able to meet specific preventative guidance from the State of Texas and the Center for Disease Control and upon consultation with and approval from their chartered organization.
- All in-person council meetings through December 31st are cancelled or postponed unless conducted over teleconference or online.
- District meetings (ex: Roundtables, District Committee Meetings, Commissioner Staff Meetings) may be conducted in person only if standards from the State of Texas and CDC can be met. Otherwise, these meetings should be conducted over teleconference or online.
- Beginning November 1st, overnight district and council activities and trainings are allowed for Scouts BSA, Venturing, Sea Scouts, and Adult Leaders. These events still must submit a plan to ERM in advance to ensure compliance with all relevant guidelines. Cub Scouts, including Webelos Scouts, are not permitted to attend overnight district and council activities through December 31st. Webelos Scouts may attend district or council activities, such as Webelos Woods, as day-only participants. Adult-only overnight trainings, such as BALOO and IOLS are allowed beginning November 1st.
- Merit Badge Days will continue to be held at Camp Strake through the fall. More information, including how to register, may be found here and will updated as more days are added.
- Weekend camping for Cub Scouts at Bovay Scout Ranch is cancelled through December 31st.
- Additional "Outdoor Sports Days” will be conducted at Bovay Scout Ranch during the fall as a replacement for Adventure Camp overnight programs.
- Weekend camping for Scouts BSA at Tellepsen Scout Camp is available; Camp Strake reservations open soon. Participating troops must follow council policies regarding social distancing and COVID-19 prevention measures, along with State of Texas protocols for camps.
- The Cockrell Scout Center remains open for drop off only with hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday.
- Any interaction needed with staff members must be conducted through phone and email. If you need assistance determining the appropriate person to contact, please refer to our updated “who to call directory,” or contact the receptionist at (713) 659-8111 during our office hours to be directed to the appropriate person.
- Field-based staff (District Executives) will be working remotely during this time and are available by phone and email.
- The 5 Scout Shop locations are open to limited retail traffic (store hours)
- University of Scouting will be conducted in both online and in-person formats during the week of November 9-14th.
- Colonneh Lodge has established plans to conduct Order of the Arrow Ordeals during COVID-19.
- Scout Fair 2021 has been cancelled.
- Our council program team is currently looking at planning and potential alternate planning for other upcoming major events.
Our Enterprise Risk Management Team is working regularly and diligently to determine our plans going forward. If you have any questions regarding the COVID-19 response for the Sam Houston Area Council, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at email@example.com. The council remains committed to keeping our constituents updated regularly with new information as we have it. We will continue to communicate through three main mechanisms – Facebook, Email, and Council Website. Please consult these regularly for updates.
Thank you for all you do for Scouting
Chair of the Board
Scout Executive / CEO
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As this is a constantly evolving situation, please regularly monitor our standard means of communication (Facebook, Email, and Council Website) for updates.
BSA National Statement on COVID-19 Previous Updates
Rank Advancement Update Scouting at Home Digital Safety Online Meeting Resources