As part of the 100th anniversary of SHAC, we are highlighting Scouts and leaders by featuring them in a series of radio commercials airing on News 92.1FM radio, from now through November. We are looking for Scouts and Scouters who would like to participate in the program and hear yourself on the radio, along with other Scouts and Scouters who make Scouting great in Houston.
As part of the Century of Service program, SHAC, with generous funding from Hart Energy and production assistance by UHY LLP Certified Public Accountants, is producing a radio campaign airing on News 92.1FM. The radio segments feature interviews with area Scouts, Scouters, SHAC leadership, and community leaders, all talking about how Scouting in Houston has improved their lives, their families, or our community. You can participate in the program and hear yourself on the radio later this year.
- Select one of the interview questions listed below.
- Call the SHAC-News92 Hotline at 713-407-3204. Speak slowly and clearly and leave your name, troop or patrol, rank or role, and your age (for Scouts), and your email address. Answer the question of your choice. Feel free to simply tell us about an interesting aspect of your Scouting experience. If you don’t like your answer, call back and leave a new message.
- The producers from News92 will select appropriate participants, and edit their comments into a commercial to be aired later this year.
- SHAC will send you a notice of when your spot will air, and provide you with a digital copy of your segment.
Listen to a sample of a radio spots:
- Troop 1631 Scout Tom Ralph talks about how Scouting is teaching him to be a better teacher and leader during an interview captured on a recent campout to Goose Island State Park.
- Scout leader David Van Kleek has devoted his life to service to others. Listen to how his Scouting experience led to a successful career in the military and in business.
All entries may not be used; calling the line and leaving a message for this program is your approval for SHAC and News92 to use your name and recording of your voice. If you have any questions about the program, please contact Program Manager Bill Penczak.
- Why did you join Scouts?
- How has Scouting made you a better student?
- How do you balance Scouting with other activities like sports or band?
- What have you learned about leadership during your experience in Scouting?
- What was your Eagle project and what impact did it make on the community?
- Who have been role models for you in Scouting?
- How are you different as a person since you’ve been in Scouting?
- What impact has Scouting had on your family life?
- What’s the most fun thing you’ve done in Scouting?
- Tell us about the best camping trip you’ve been on as a Scout
- Why do you volunteer as a Scout leader?
- How have you seen Scouting improve young men’s lives?
- How does Scouting help single moms and their families?
- Who are some positive role models you’ve experienced in Scouting?
- Why should parents encourage their sons to be in Scouting?
- What do boys learn besides outdoor skills in their Scouting experience?
- What’s the importance of troops being “boy led”?
- Tell us about some community service projects your troop has done?
- If you are an Eagle Scout, what impact has that had on your career?
- How has SHAC made a difference in the Houston community?