Dear Scouting families and leaders,
We are gearing up for one of the most exciting times of the year for our Scouts! It’s hard to believe that our 80th Annual Scout Fair is less than a month away. Scout Fair is our yearly celebration that showcases family fun and Scouting excitement! Scouts from across our council join for a day of good-old Scouting fun. Scout Fair is a tremendous opportunity for the public to see what Scouting is all about with hands-on activities and fun for everyone- for all ages!
Let’s BE PREPARED to have one of the greatest Scouting events on Saturday, May 6, 2017 from 10am– 3pm at Minute Maid Park. Along with our new location are several new opportunities and features this year. Bring all your Scouts and family members to this tremendous event. Please read through the following information to make it the best day possible for your family and your Scouts.
In this update you will find information on the following topics:
Key Dates and Deadlines
Please mark the following important dates and times on your calendar:
||April 21, 2017
||Deadline to register for a booth/service
||April 25, 2017
||Deadline to purchase parking pass
||April 26, 2017
||Parking passes to be mailed
||April 30, 2017
||Booth Location Notification e-mailed to Committee Chair and Booth Chair
||May 6, 2017
||Service Assignment Notification e-mailed to Committee Chair and Booth Chair
||May 6, 2017, 6am-10am
||Scout Fair Booth Set-up
||May 6, 2017, 10am – 3pm
||Scout Fair Event
||May 6, 2017, 3pm-5pm
||Scout Fair Booth Breakdown
Location Information: Security, Admission, Food, Parking and Access
Our Scout Fair location for 2017 is Minute Maid Park located at 501 Crawford St, Houston, TX 77002. To maximize your fun and fully enjoy your Scout Fair experience, please allow plenty of time for travel, parking and entering the park. We encourage you to please plan your route and morning arrival times for Saturday accordingly. Here are several key items to keep in mind:
- Security Due to Minute Maid Park’s position as a Major League Baseball facility, please be prepared to go through magnetometers and bag check any time you are entering the building. The applies to all guests, regardless if they have already been screened at a different gate. Please allot extra time for security checks when preparing for your day at the Scout Fair.
- Admission Entry into Minute Maid Park is free. There will be no fee to attend Scout Fair at Minute Maid Park.
- Food Absolutely NO outside food or drink will be allowed in the park. Scouts are welcome to exit the facility and go to their vehicles, picnic nearby and return as necessary. There will be several Aramark concessions stands throughout Minute Maid Park where food and drink items will be available for purchase.
- Parking will be at a premium. Due to the Cinco de Mayo parade bringing additional people into the area, we anticipate a greater demand for parking. Prepaid parking passes for $12.00 designated for Minute Maid Park Lots A, B and C are HIGHLY recommended. The deadline to purchase your parking pass is April 26th. Purchase parking passes here: www.samhoustonbsa.org/scoutfair Parking passes will be distributed through the following methods of your choice:
a. Either by mail starting on the week of April 28th
b. Or through pick up at the Council Scout Center from April 20th-April 27th. You may collect your parking pass beginning on the evening of April 20th at the Council Coordinated meeting, and up until April 27th in the SHAC Support Services Department during regular business hours. Any parking passes not collected by April 27th will be mailed. Any parking passes not sold by April 25th will be sold to the public, first-come first-served basis.
- Parking Lot Access
- Access to Minute Maid parking Lots A, B and C will be accessible from the north side entrances off of Preston and Charters (west side entrance), St. Emanuel and Hutchinson entrance from the North side.
- Texas Street Access is only available till 8:30 am Saturday. After noon all streets will be open to the public after the parade ends.
- Please note maps on the website and your parking pass that will indicate the open entrances.
- Preston on the East side of the stadium is two way. Hamilton is One Way North to South. Chartres is One Way, South to North. St. Emanuel and Hutchison are two way.
- Harris County Sheriff Department and HPD Officers will be on site to move traffic and assist in access to Minute Maid Parking lots.
- WE REPEAT: Please plan your route and morning arrival times for Saturday accordingly.
Street Closures due to Cinco de Mayo Parade
- Street closures on May 6th, 2017 will impact the original unloading and vehicular move-in on Saturday morning after 8:30 am.
- Beginning at 8:30 am street closures will be in effect and movement around Minute Maid Park will be impacted.
- Saturday setup will begin at 6:00 am to 8:30 am and will have the least amount of Cinco de Mayo and Scout Fair traffic congestion.
- If you are dropping off items from a vehicle or trailer, we encourage you to arrive between 6:00 am -8:00 am. Vehicle access to drop off will close at the park after 8:30 am. As street closures begin, you will need to park and bring your items in by walking from the parking lots.
- If you have a large booth item and need to work out a delivery process, contact Fritz Maxwell at 281-813-3825, Russell Carman at 281-433-4502 or Dennis Olheiser at 281-831-0787 by Sunday, April 30th. They can assist with drop off options.
- Traffic congestion and street closures on Saturday after 8:30 am will impede driving access to the Minute Maid Park on Texas, Hamilton, Congress and Preston. WE REPEAT: Please plan your route and morning arrival times for Saturday accordingly.
Scout Fair Booth/Service Unit Registration
Deadline Friday, April 21, 2017
- Participate by hosting a booth!
There is still time to register your unit to host a Scout Fair Booth! Host a Scout Fair booth and allow your Scouts to display their accomplishments, or create a new and exciting activity for them to present. Booth activity ideas are endless! Be creative and have fun with this, but please review the Guide to Safe Scouting and the Safety Booth Requirements Manual before finalizing your booth plans. Booth space is limited so please register as soon as possible. We hope to see your unit there! Table and chair rentals will be available for your booth - $15.00 for tables and $5.00 for chairs. Supplies are limited. Visit www.shac.org/scout-fair-leader-page/#Booths for more information and to register.
- Participate by providing service at Scout Fair!
If you don’t have an idea for a booth, but still want to participate at Scout Fair, register as a Service Unit! Service troops, crews, teams ships and posts can assist with all sorts of needs such as set-up Saturday morning or clean up Saturday afternoon, serve at various council booths, run errands during Scout Fair, etc. If you can only help at specific times, let us know when you register. Please be advised, Cub Scout packs will not have this option this year. Visit www.shac.org/scout-fair-leader-page/#Booths to register.
Scouts Paws for A Cause - A Scout is Helpful
In celebration of the Sam Houston Area Council Scout Fair, we are excited to present “Scouts Paws for a Cause” – a special Scout Fair service project dedicated to help animals in need. A Scout is Helpful, so let’s join and help support our local animal shelters! You can easily participate by bringing an item from the donation list and dropping it off at several designated booths during Scout Fair. Everyone that participates will receive a special prize based on this year’s theme, "Scouts Today. Legends Tomorrow." All donations will be distributed to various local animal shelters. Visit http://www.samhoustonbsa.org/scouts-paws-for-a-cause-scout-fair-service-project-2017-04-06 for more information.
Donation List for Items to Bring to Scout Fair:
- Canned Puppy Food: Purina Pro Plan Puppy
- Canned Adult Dog Food: Purina Pro Plan Adult
- Canned Kitten Food: Fancy Feast Kitten (Petco brand), Tender Turkey Feast or Authority (PetSmart Brand) - Beef/Poultry Flavors only
- Canned Adult Cat Food: Fancy Feast Classic Adult (Petco Brand): Beef/Poultry Flavors only or Authority (PetSmart Brand) - Beef/Poultry Flavors only
- Items such as pet toys and blankets will also be accepted
(No fish/seafood flavors for any of the varieties, please.)
Special Event Attractions and Highlights
- Indoor booths - Visit hundreds of fun, hands on, activities and crafts located throughout the concourse area
- Outdoor booths - Sample Dutch oven creations and other camp food delicacies fresh off the camp stove, in addition to numerous other attractions
- Main stage - Enjoy live entertainment
- Midway - Meet Scouting’s community partners and learn fun Scout skills
- Scout Shop - Shop for all your Scouting needs (Union Station)
- Union Station will be the designated location for Patch pick-up, Winner’s Circle and Coupon book money turn in. (Union Station is on the west side of the park).
- Parade of Flags We will have a parade inside Minute Maid Park to celebrate the conclusion of the fair beginning at 2:00 p.m. Each unit is encouraged to have a youth carry a unit flag. You can join the parade when it passes by your booth.
- Legends Areas We will have 7 legends areas. There will be a "Scorecard" that a youth can get signed off in each Legends area. Youth that get their "Scorecard" signed off in each of the 7 areas will receive a commemorative wooded coin. Scorecards and coin pick-up can be done at one of the 5 commissioner booths located inside the park. Youth will also receive a ticket for a drawing in each Legends area. Drawings will be held for prizes at 11:00 a.m., Noon and 1:00 p.m. at the inside stage. Prizes must be picked up before the close of Scout Fair.
Safety tips and reminders
- Youth protection and two deep leadership are always required. Enforce the buddy system. Have a safety talk with the Scouts about any possible hazards. Have the boys wear their uniform! Please review the safety reminders and the booth safety guidelines as our Scouts’ safety is our number one priority.
- Risk Management- The best way to stay safe is to avoid getting into trouble in the first place. That requires planning, training, leadership, good judgment, and accepting responsibility. For any emergency situation, please contact the appropriate parties as necessary.
Submit your photos
Take lots of photos! Send your photos to our council Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/SHAC.BSA These photos will generate excitement and help promote the Scouting mission to the Houston community.
The Cinco de Mayo parade will disperse by noon and should have no impact during take down and loading at 3:00 pm. We must be clear of Minute Maid Park and their parking lots by 5:00 pm Saturday. Thanks again for all you are doing to make Scout Fair so successful. We are all good scouters and can work through this process. Above all, we hope you and your Scouts have a safe, fun and memorable experience. We are working hard to ensure this event is a great success. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our Scout Fair team. We are looking forward to seeing you and serving with you!
Yours in Scouting Service,
2017 Scout Fair Management Team