Rough Riders is a high adventure summer camp experience for older Scouts with activities such as zip lining, horseback riding, water adventures, rock climbing, rappelling and much more. Older Scouts can attend Rough Riders while their unit is attending summer camp. Participants can also sign up individually. Visit the online Trading Post to purchase camp hats, shirts and more.
Discover some of the forgotten land of El Rancho Cima during the Rough Rider program, and spend a week of summer on the historic Devil's Backbone. Rough Riders is an experience designed to challenge the senior members of your troop and crew and prepare them for other high adventure base camps. At the Hamman High Adventure Base at Iron Wheel Mesa, troops, teams and crews will have the advantage of going through the ever growing COPE course which includes:
- Calamity Jane - a 65 foot climbing tower with a 1,500 foot zip-line
- Little Sure Shot - a 2,000 foot zip-line ride over the Blanco River
- 4 high elements
- 6 low elements
- Work on leadership and teamwork skills
From base camp on the mesa, participants will take a horseback trek down custom trails to and from three back country sites and cookout and camp overnight and:
- Shoot black power rifles at Rocky Gulch
- Experience the heritage of El Rancho Cima's early inhabitants through activities such as tomahawk throwing at Homestead Meadows
- Learn about metal working at the forge, located right on the Blanco River
This camp is for BSA Boy Scout, Sea Scout, Venturing Scout, and Varsity Team Camping only. Cub Scout camping, Individual Family camping, and other non-BSA camping is prohibited at this camp.
2014 Leader’s Guide | 2014 Payments & Deadlines
Register for 2015 Rough Riders | 2015 List of what to bring
For Questions Contact