(Camp Brosig, 1893 Trenchman Road, Sealy, TX 77474)
Philmont Advisor Skills School (PASS) is designed to help prepare Philmont advisors to lead a successful trek. PASS is an 8-hour course that covers backcountry and logistical fundamentals of Philmont, including:
- Philmont-issued gear
- Crew leadership positions
- Physical conditioning
- Travel to and from Philmont
- Conducting a shakedown hike
- Establishing a crew Philmont committee
- Smellables and bear bag hanging
- Dining fly and tent setup
- Gas stove operation and care
- Philmont’s backcountry cooking method
- Dish washing and sump use
Register (Field Pass)
Experienced members from the ranger and backcountry departments will lead you in the backcountry and logistical fundamentals of Philmont over the course of the day. Participants will enjoy a trail lunch and sample a trail dinner in between training sessions. At the conclusion of the course, advisors will receive PASS materials to share with crew members.
The cost is $40 and includes a Philmont-style trail meal lunch, dinner, and PASS materials including the PASS patch.