Recharter Resources for Districts
The District Recharter Workshop presentation from 9/19/2012 can be downloaded here in PowerPoint 97-2003 format.
The Unit Recharter Workshop presentation for 2012-13 can be downloaded here in PowerPoint 2007 and higher format
and here in PowerPoint 97-2003 format.
Key Points for 2012-13
- The "Unit Charter Fee" of $20 has been replaced by "Unit Liability Insurance Fee" of $40. The new fee, like the old fee, is paid by all units. The new name reflects how the National Council has used the funds from both fees. The fee is increased because claims have increased in recent years, depleting the reserve fund.
Do not confuse the "Unit Liability Insurance Fee", which applies to all units and is forwarded to National, with the "Accident Insurance Fee" of $1/person, which remains with the Sam Houston Area Council.and is not paid by units chartered to the LDS Church.
- The 2012-13 recharter is a transition to the 2013 Sam Houston Area Council Recharter Plan. The following new requirements are now in effect as part of that plan:
- The use of Internet Rechartering is required for all recharters. The use of Internet Rechartering improves the accuracy of unit recharters and reduces volunteer and professional time required to complete recharter. Districts will assist units in locating Internet-connected computers with Internet Explorer 6 (and higher) when units do not have access to those resources. In addition to public resources, such as libraries, the pool of computers in the council program office are available to units to complete Internet Rechartering.
- All units will recharter in December beginning in December 2013. No change is required for the roughly 50% of our units which already recharter in December. The remaining units will recharter in 2012-13 on a one-time basis for a period other than a year. Units with charters expiring before December 2012 must recharter for 13-18 months such that their next recharter is December 2013. Units with charters expiring January 2013-June 2013 must recharter for 6-11 months such that their next recharter is December 2013. New units will only be chartered for 6-18 months such that their initial charter expires in December. Requiring all units to recharter in the same month will allow the council to focus resources to complete this administrative task in the shortest possible time.
- All units will follow the same recharter schedule beginning in December 2013. The council calendar released in early 2013 will contain milestone dates for the recharter process. Districts will include these dates in their own calendars and will inform their units.